“Good Friday at 5:15 p.m.” is slated to be performed on Friday and Saturday evenings during Lent of 2017 for a total of about 12 performances. Based out of All Saints Anglican Church at 346 Termino Avenue in Long Beach, California, “Good Friday at 5:15 p.m.” is intended to be a collaborative effort utilizing the talents, time and skills of churches in the surrounding area of Long Beach—but it is not limited to them alone. It is our hope that should you or your church be interested in being a part of this valuable ministry you will not hesitate to pray about it and then contact us using the contact form
While monetary gifts to the ministry are welcome they are not at this time crucial to the success of this enterprise; much of the set materials have been provided for. What is actually needed more than anything else are performers, crafts people, set builders, overseers and workers of all sorts in order for this to outreach to become a reality. Won’t you please review the list of positions we have below and then ask the Lord to show you what talents you can offer to this ministry. God bless and we look forward to hearing from you!
We Need People
to guide others through the city, to act the part of townsfolk and guards, to help with public relations, to make costumes, to help build, to greet people as they come, to help performers with costumes and make-up, and many more roles! Take a look at the list below and see if there’s something you’d like to volunteer for
The cast for Good Friday 5:15
1) A Guide – who leads groups on their “tour” of Jerusalem. There will have to be more than one of these to move groups through in waves. Anywhere from 6-10 depending on visiting crowd sizes.
2) Marcus – a Roman Soldier at Fortress Antonia
3) Demus – a Roman Soldier at Fortress Antonia
4) Anthony – a Roman Soldier at Fortress Antonia
5) Antillius – a Roman Soldier at Fortress Antonia
6) Urbanus – Pilate’s Advisor
7) Patrobus- Pilate’s Advisor
8) *Processus – A Page and Bookkeeper at Fortress Antonia
* New Performer* (Instead of having Pilate yell from his balcony window we can have him appear there while Processus nervously delivers Pilate’s message about another crowd)
9) Pilate – Procurator and Governor
10) Micah – Proprietor of the Potter’s Shop and husband of Joanna
11) Joanna – wife of Micah the Potter
12) Veronica – of “Veronica’s Veil”–she gave Jesus a towel to wipe His face
13) Simon of Cyrene – carried Jesus’ cross for Him
14) Daniel – Proprietor of the Miller’s Shop
15) Hannah – Weeping Daughter of Jerusalem
16) Susana – Weeping Daughter of Jerusalem
17) Martha – Weeping Daughter of Jerusalem
18) Elizabeth – Widow of her husband Phineas’ market. Chief proprietor and mother of Thomas and Haron
19) Thomas – Eldest son of Elizabeth
20) Haron – Youngest son of Elizabeth
21) Quintas – Centurion at the Gate of Jerusalem
22) 2-3 Extra Guards – non-speaking roles
23) Unknown Person #1 – chatting with Unknown Person #2 about the veil of the Temple being torn in two.
24) Unknown Person #2 – chatting with Unknown Person #1 about the veil of the Temple being torn in two.
25) Longinus – the Guard who pierced Jesus’ side.
26) Joseph of Arimathaea – secret follower of Jesus
27) Nicodemus – secret follower of Jesus
28) Mary Magdalene – one of Jesus’ close followers
Extras to walk along the streets of Jerusalem as if hurrying to ready for the coming Passover, as well as Roman guards who must be stationed at “Working Door # 3 “(located in Wall Area #2) which is more of a heavy gate with double doors. This door is there for evacuation purposes in case of an emergency and should have performers–as guards– working it at all times. All things considered, the list may require 10 -12 extras.
Behind the Scenes Personnel for Good Friday 5:15 P.M.
Current helpers listed, more are welcome!
1) Prayer Teams – people to pray for this production as an outreach tool — starting now and during performances:
All Saints Prayer Tree
2) Grounds Person – somebody who is responsible for the church and the surrounding property; has keys and the authority to deal with any security problems or issues that might arise. Handles any permits and is the primary liaison between All Saints Anglican Church and the city:
3) Wardrobe Person – somebody who is responsible for acquiring and caring for wardrobe and make-up. This includes overseeing the sewing and altering of costumes owned by the church as well as keeping track of any rental costumes:
4) Director – works with the performers and sets schedules for rehearsals and performances:
We’re looking for three sub-directors to work on individual streets.
5) Greeters -people who greet visitors with coffee and light refreshments as they wait their turn inside the Parish Hall to go in with their guide into Jerusalem.
We still need these!
6) Advertising and Public Relations Person – responsible for relationships with the community and the surrounding neighborhood. Handles all advertising to promote Good Friday 5:15 pm as well as any correspondence:
Caren Spilsbury and Jessica Greenlee
7) Financial Officer – responsible for all fund-raising and keeping track of expenditures:
8) Set Design Person – responsible for building the set of Jerusalem. Organizes work crews, materials and schedules construction dates. Responsible for dismantling the set afterward, marking it and storing it for use the next year:
9) Animal Coordinator – responsible for acquiring and caring for the animals used during the production. This includes seeing that they are fed and properly cared for as well as any clean-up that may occur during the production.
Most likely this position will involve finding outside professionals capable of providing this service.
10) Security Chief – responsible for any problems that arise during the production requiring the removal of person or persons from the church grounds during the performance. Works closely with the Grounds Person in securing the facilities before, during and after performance:
Patty Mazon, assisted by Dale Whisler
11) Props Person – this person is responsible for the making, gathering and coordinating of all of the props that will be used in the Good Friday At 5:15 PM production.
To help for anything from an hour to a month on putting the set together.
*All of these positions may require additional support from other individuals volunteering to help. As such, the people in these positions are responsible for selecting and working with any additional volunteers.
Bill Austin Email: email@example.com
Performance time 7:00 pm until 9:00 pm Friday & Saturday in the 3 weeks prior to Easter